Last night I helped make some appies for my aunt's 50th birthday surprise party. These Taquito bites were very popular. This is a multi-part recipe but the end result is so, so good! Unfortunately the end result was SO good, that I wasn't able to get a picture. I do plan to make these again one day though so I will be sure to post a picture eventually.
**Finally got some pictures of the taquitos. I made them again for my cousin's baby shower and they were even more popular!**
Braised and Shredded Beef Taquito Bites
Part 1: PREPARE THE BEEF
2lb beef round roast
2-3 tbsp Mexican Seasoning (see below)
1 tbsp cooking oil
2 small cans diced green chilies, 1 reserved until end
1/2 head of roasted garlic (4-5 cloves)
2 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
1 carton beef broth
1. Generously rub the roast using the Mexican Seasoning. Ensure to coat all sides and rub it in using your fingers.
2. In a hot, oiled pan, sear the roast on all sides.
3. While beef is searing, in a small bowl, mix roasted garlic with fresh garlic and mash with a fork to form a puree.
4. Using tongs, place beef in a slow cooker. Cover with diced green chilies and garlic puree. Pour beef broth into pot to mostly cover the beef.
5. Set slow cooker to high heat and set the timer for 4 hours.
6. When beef is cooked, remove from slow cooker and place into a bowl. Using two forks, shred the beef into small pieces.
7. Strain broth into a bowl. Discard left over chili and garlic pieces. Add 1/4 cup of strained broth back to the beef. Mix together well. Beef should be moist but not dripping.
8. Add the second can of chopped green chilies and mix well. Add more broth if required.
Note: Save your broth for next time you make Tortilla Soup, add a bit to mashed potatoes, use it to cook Mexican rice or mix a 1/2 cup with 1 tsp Mexican seasoning and add to ground beef for delicious Tacos!
2 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cinnamon
1. Mix all in a container with a tight fitting lid. Use as needed.
PART 2: ASSEMBLE THE TAQUITOS
1 pk large flour tortillas
Prepared shredded beef
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet, or use parchment paper.
2. Heat tortillas in microwave for 30 seconds so they are more pliable.
3. Place a couple tablespoons of beef off centre on each tortilla. Ensure to fill right from end to end.
4. Gently roll the tortilla into a tight tube shape. If required, you can secure rolls with a toothpick.
5. Place rolls on cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray.
6. Bake in pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes until tortillas are crisp and lightly browned. Half way through cooking, turn taquitos. Keep an eye on them to be sure not to over cook.
7. Let cool slightly then remove toothpicks and cut each tortilla in half, then each half in half again (each roll will provide 4 "bites").
8. Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa. I served mine with sour cream mixed with a couple teaspoons of taco seasoning. Very good.
- Beef can be prepared up to a day in advance. Any more than that and it will lose moisture.
- Taquitos can also be prepared a day in advance. The tortillas may get a little soft or "moist" on the bottom, but that will be fixed when baked. Start baking with the moist side turned up.
- Instead of cutting into "bites", keep them in halves or whole for a snack or dinner entree.
- Add shredded jack cheese to your Taquitos. Place it in the middle on top of the meat mixture about 1/2 inch down from the edges to ensure no cheese leakage while baking.