Thursday, November 12, 2009
Baked Crisp Beef Burritos
I had some ingredients left over from the Beef Taquito Bites so I whipped up (I use the term loosely) some crisp beef burritos. I used the left over beef broth to braise the beef in this recipe but it isn't necessary. You can easily create a new broth! The end result was very flavourful and filling.
1 pk of stewing beef or stir fry beef strips
1 tbsp Mexican Seasoning (see below)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 carton (1L) beef broth
3 cloves garlic, minced (or combination of roasted & fresh, blended together)
1 can diced green chilies
1. Rub Mexican seasoning into beef pieces.
2. Heat oil in a saute pan (one with a lid) over high heat. When oil is hot, sear beef to brown slightly.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Add beef broth, diced green chilies and garlic. Add another tsp of Mexican seasoning. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low (or Minimum heat setting) and cover pan. Let beef braise for 1-2 hours.
5. When beef is finished braising, remove beef and strain broth into another bowl. Toss the chili and garlic residue. Save broth for another use, if you wish. It will keep in the fridge for a couple days.
6. Using kitchen shears, cut beef into 1/4 inch pieces (or dice using a sharp knife). Beef is now ready!
2 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cinnamon
1. Mix all in a container with a tight fitting lid. Use as needed.
1 pkg large flour tortillas
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 stalks green onion, sliced
1 medium jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 can sliced olives, drained
1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese or tex mex cheese blend
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spay cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place beef in a bowl and layer with red and green onion, jalapeno, olives, cilantro and cheese. Mix well.
3. Microwave tortillas for 30-60 seconds until soft and pliable.
4. Scoop 3-4 spoonfuls of mixture into the centre of each tortilla. Fold in edges and roll to form a tight, closed burrito.
5. Place burritos on cookie sheet and spray tops with more cooking spray.
6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes per side.
7. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes, then cut each burrito in half on a bias.
8. Serve with garnish of your choice!
more shredded cheese
sliced green onion
red pepper or jalapeno jelly
Serve with Mexican Fiesta Rice!