Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli & Asparagus
This was one of my Thanksgiving dinner side dishes. These veggies take very little time to cook. They are topped with toasted pine nuts and a balsalmic reduction. Everyone in my family enjoyed the dish. It's a keeper. From The Healthiest Meals on Earth.
Roasted Broccoli & Asparagus:
1 lb Brussels spouts
1 bunch asparagus spears
1 large head broccoli
3 whole cloves garlic
salt & pepper
Garlic Balsamic Reduction (see below)
2 tbsp toasted pine nuts or chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts. Cut in half lengthwise. Toss the Brussels and garlic cloves in olive oil and arrange on a small baking sheet.
3. Place in oven. Set a timer for 10 minutes.
4. While Brussels are roasting, trim the asparagus. Trim and stem the broccoli and cut the broccoli into long thin pieces. Toss the veggies and arrange on a second small baking sheet.
5. After 10 minutes, place the second baking sheet in the oven along side the Brussels sprouts and roast for another 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven and place vegetables in serving dish. Make the Garlic Balsamic Reduction and pour over veggies. Add pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper.
Garlic Balsamic Reduction:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 whole roasted cloves garlic (from above)
1. While vegetables are roasting, add vinegar to a small sauce pan. Simmer over medium heat until vinegar starts to reduce and thicken.
2. When vegetables are cooked, remove roasted garlic pieces. Add reduced vinegar and roasted garlic cloves to a blender and puree.
3. Spoon garlic balsamic reduction over finished vegetables.