Friday, November 20, 2009

Marianne Inspired Oatmeal



Last week I tried homemade oatmeal, inspired by Marianne at French Fries to Flax Seeds. One of her breakfast staples is a bowl of oatmeal mixed with whatever she can find in her cupboard. One day it's peanut butter, bananas and dried figs and the next it's blueberries, coconut butter and cocoa nibs. The other day she used Matcha green tea powder and made green oats! I'm not quite as adventurous as Marianne and I am a traditionalist when it comes to oatmeal, so my creation isn't quite as exciting as hers, but it was easily the best darn oatmeal I have ever eaten and has become a regular in my breakfast rotation.

1/2 cup oats (I use Bob's Red Mill Extra Thick Rolled Oats).
1 tsp Apple Pie Spice (see below)
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water (or any combination of milk/water to equal 3/4 cup liquid. Use only water for a vegan meal.)
1/4 cup applesauce or 1 small applesauce/fruit blend cup
1/2 cup assorted fresh or frozen berries/fruit (I've been using a mix of frozen mixed berries and fresh pomegranate seeds. Diced apple is nice too and I love it with blackberries! If using frozen berries, make sure they are thawed! Sometimes I add 1/4 cup dried cranberries as well.)

1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a microwave safe bowl.

2. Add the milk and water and stir together.

3. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, until most of liquid is absorbed. Stir well to mix.

4. Add applesauce and fruit and mix together.

*You could cook your oats on the stove top instead of the microwave. I haven't had the time or desire to do it that way yet.

Apple Pie Spice:
4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

1. Mix everything together in an airtight container and use as needed.

1 comment:

  1. Look at that - I've inspired your oatmeal. I feel so special :D But you simply must go to stove top oats. You'll never go back to microwaved (unless you just don't have the time to use the stovetop). I think that's why I don't make oats every day, because I'm all about the stovetop cooking. And hey, be adventurous - matcha oats are delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails