Another appieI created for my Aunt's 50th birthday bash. Another appie with no photo. C'est la vie! This was another hugely successful and popular dish. My cousin remarked that it tastes like Christmas. That's always a bonus!
Cranberry Apple Walnut Compote:
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
2 apples - peeled, cored and diced
Zest of 1 small orange (or half 1 large)
1/2 cup apple cider
1/2 cup cranberry sauce
1 tbsp agave syrup or honey
2 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. In saucepan combine cranberries, apple, orange rind and juice. Bring to boil, stirring.
2. Reduce heat to simmer; add agave syrup, cinnamon stick and nutmeg and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until cranberries have popped and apple is tender.
3. Remove from heat and stir in chopped walnuts. Let cool to room temperature. Remove cinnamon sticks.
Brie En Croute:
1 pkg frozen puff pastry, thawed and rolled out to 1/4 inch thick roundish shape
1 cup prepared Cranberry Apple Compote (more as needed)
1 medium wheel of french brie (or whatever size you need)
1. With a sharp knife, slice brie wheel in half horizontally (into two round slices, like a bagel).
2. Scoop half the Cranberry Apple Compote onto the bottom half of the brie wheel. Place the other half of the brie wheel on top and scoop more Cranberry mixture onto it.
3. Place pastry dough on a floured surface and roll to desired size and thickness.
4. Place the brie wheel in the centre of the rolled dough. Fold the dough up over the sides of the cheese, pleating the upper edges to fit snugly around the cheese. Pinch the dough together in the center to seal.
5. At this point, you can freeze your Brie En Croute for when you are ready to use it. Wrap the pastry tightly in plastic wrap and place in a zip lock bag. Freeze for up to two weeks.
6. To bake, lightly grease a cookie sheet and pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
7. Make an egg wash (1 egg beated with a bit of water) and brush the dough evenly and thoroughly with the wash.
8. Bake for 40-50 minutes until pasty is lightly browned. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
9. Transfer brie to a platter and serve with crackers or sliced baguette. Serve the remaining compote in a small dish beside the platter. Be sure to include a sharp cheese knife!