Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Spicy Black Bean Tortilla Soup



Along with loving all things Thai, I also love all things Mexican. This recipe was inspired by Epicure. If you have some Epicure spices, check out the original recipe here. I really enjoyed this soup and I will definitely make it again.

Spicy Black Bean Tortilla Soup:
1/2 white onion, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 28oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp Mexican seasoning (see below)
1 cup prepared hot salsa
1 can diced green chilies (reserved)

1. Add all ingredients (except the diced green chilies) to a soup pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.

2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes.

3. Remove pot from heat and puree soup using an immersion blender.

4. Add diced green chilies and stir well to incorporate.

5. Ladle into bowls and top with Crisp Corn Tortilla Strips and desired garnish.

Crisp Corn Tortilla Strips:
3-4 corn tortillas, sliced into thin strips
2 tbsp olive oil

1. Heat oil in fry pan over medium high heat.

2. Add strips to oil one handful at a time.

3. "Deep fry" strips for 1-2 minutes until crisp and starting to brown.

4. Remove from pan and place on paper towel.

Optional Garnish:
fresh cilantro leaves
shredded cheddar or jack cheese
sour cream
sliced avocado

Mexican Seasoning:
2 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cinnamon

1. Mix all in a container with a tight fitting lid. Use as needed.

10 comments:

  1. You amaze me :-)

    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made my own version (without Salsa, substituted peppers, and more onion and garlic) and it as NUMMY!!!

    This one will be added to my repetoire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! it's one of my fave's too. i froze 1/2 a batch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved most everything about this–especially that it was quick. I didn’t use the cloves or cinnamon (wasn’t sure how that would taste). I think next time I will use less oregano and maybe a little less broth as I like my soups fairly thick. Thanks for a great veggie soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM. Delicious!
    I nixed the cilantro and cloves, simply because I didn’t have any. I also added extra spices (each one except cloves) and dumped the entire mixture in…made for deliciously seasoned soup!
    Even my kids who are 1 & 2 1/2 gobbled it up…you know that’s a recipe to keep!

    Also made my own tortilla chips:
    Yellow corn tortillas cut into 8ths, put on buttered cookie sheet, drizzle olive oil, sprinkle sea salt and bake at 350 for 10 min, flip for another 10 min.

    SOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this soup as the recipe reads and it was wonderful! I was a little worried about the clove and cinnamon but was pleasantly surprised by the depth of flavor this touch added. Topped with Sour Cream/Cilantro/ and Shredded Cheese-YUMMY! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good recipe and fairly easy too. Now what shall I use the remaining Mexican spice for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am soooooo making this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was delicious and easy to make. My toddler ate 2 bowls. Loved it and will definitely make again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very easy, quick meal solution for a work night. I tossed in some jalapenos to add some more heat to it. Will definitely make again, tasted great.

    5 out of 5 on Tasty Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails