Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Spicy Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Along with loving all things Thai, I also love all things Mexican. This recipe was inspired by Epicure. If you have some Epicure spices, check out the original recipe here. I really enjoyed this soup and I will definitely make it again.
Spicy Black Bean Tortilla Soup:
1/2 white onion, diced
1 cup zucchini, diced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 28oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp Mexican seasoning (see below)
1 cup prepared hot salsa
1 can diced green chilies (reserved)
1. Add all ingredients (except the diced green chilies) to a soup pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat and puree soup using an immersion blender.
4. Add diced green chilies and stir well to incorporate.
5. Ladle into bowls and top with Crisp Corn Tortilla Strips and desired garnish.
Crisp Corn Tortilla Strips:
3-4 corn tortillas, sliced into thin strips
2 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat oil in fry pan over medium high heat.
2. Add strips to oil one handful at a time.
3. "Deep fry" strips for 1-2 minutes until crisp and starting to brown.
4. Remove from pan and place on paper towel.
fresh cilantro leaves
shredded cheddar or jack cheese
2 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
pinch ground cloves
pinch ground cinnamon
1. Mix all in a container with a tight fitting lid. Use as needed.