Friday, October 16, 2009

Red Thai Curry Chicken & Rice Soup



I've been slacking off in the cooking department. I blame Thanksgiving. I spent so much time and effort planning and preparing my Thanksgiving dinner, everything else went by the way side. Today I am cooking up a delicious treat using left overs and tomorrow I am going to sit down and plan my menu for the coming week ahead. Now for something tasty...

Red Thai Curry soup is my absolute favourite soup. Since my first taste at a local restaurant, I have been trying to emulate the flavours into my own version. I must admit, my current version ain't half bad! This soup is a rustic version of the classic, with lots of chunky vegetables and chicken pieces. It's a great cold weather meal. Serve with some flat bread to soak up the delicious broth and a glass of BC Riesling or Gewurztraminer to wash it down.

Ingredients:

1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 white onion
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into large cubes
1 tbsp red Thai curry paste
1 inch section of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups fresh chicken broth
1 cup water (or chicken broth)
1/2 cup brown jasmine rice
lemon grass stalk, peeled, trimmed and bruised slightly with the back of a knife
3 kaffir lime leaves
2 whole red Thai chili peppers
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/2 can light coconut milk (or 4 frozen cubes)

handful snow peas
1 carrot, julienned (cut into long, thin strips)
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips (I omit this but it adds nice colour)
1-2 red Thai chili peppers, diced (Optional - If you want extra heat, use them!)
handful bean sprouts for garnish
handful fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
1 red Thai chili peppers, sliced, for garnish

Method:

1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-heat heat. Add chicken pieces and onions and cook for a few minutes until chicken is seared and starting to brown.

2. Add red Thai curry paste, ginger and garlic. Stir to blend well.

3. Pour in chicken stock and water. Add lemon grass, lime leaves and chili peppers. Let broth simmer on low so the flavours have a chance to meet and party (20 minutes).

4. Add rice and fish sauce. Stir to mix. Let simmer on low for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.

5. Add coconut milk and vegetables. Continue simmering for 10 minutes or until vegetables cooked.

6. Remove lime leaves, lemongrass and whole chilies.

7. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with bean sprouts, cilantro and more julienned carrots.

Note: If the soup reduces too much due to the rice, add a bit more chicken stock or water 1/2 cup at a time. We want a soup, not a stew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails