Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blueberry Banana Nut Bread



This recipe is from the current issue of Clean Eating Magazine. I made a few minor changes by eliminating the buttermilk and adding extra banana. I substituted lemon rind for orange rind because I forgot to buy an orange and I used one whole egg instead of two egg whites. I'm not afraid of egg yolks. They are good for you. Forget the high cholesterol hype.

In making this bread I learned I have a mild intolerance for walnuts. After eating several slices of the bread as well as a couple walnut ladden brownies baked by a co-worker, my tongue developed a weird tingley sensation. I will definately make this loaf again but next time, sans nuts.

Ingredients:

Olive oil or butter to grease the baking pan
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 cup flax seed meal
1 whole egg, lightly beaten with a fork
1/3 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup goat yogurt or plain regular yogurt

1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
zest from 1 lemon

1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease your loaf pan.

2. In a large bowl, stir together banana, flax meal, egg, agave and yogurt.

3. In separate bowl, mix together baking soda, salt, flours and lemon rind.

4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.

5. Fold in the walnuts and blueberries.

6. Pour mixture into loaf pan.

7. Bake for 45-50 mins.

8. Remove from oven and let cool in loaf pan for 10 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails