Friday, October 30, 2009

Immunity Boosting Foods


Veggies @ Granville Island Market

The flu season has hit us early and with a vengeance. Everyday the media is reporting on a new death from H1N1; Seemingly healthy people are dropping like flies. After much thought and debate I have decided not to get the H1N1 vaccine. The reasons are my own and are not up for debate here. Instead of medical prevention, I will be seeking holistic prevention. I will be:

-obsessive about hygiene and sanitation. Hand sanitizer and wet wipes go with me everywhere!
-keeping my schedule mostly free so I have more time for rest and relaxation.
-going to bed at a decent hour every night that I am not working.
-eating as healthy and wholesome a diet as I possibly can.
-looking into vitamins and supplements and remembering to use my bee pollen (my co-workers swear by oil of oregano)
-getting some physical activity every day (not strenuous)

10 Cent posted about her Anti Flu Diet the other day which got me doing some research on foods that give our immunities a little boost. One of the books on my Required Reading list also touches on eating for immunity.

I learned quite a bit. Read the page in the link for more detailed information. The top five immunity boosting winter foods are:

- Cruciferous vegetables (brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale etc.)
- Orange vegetables (carrots, yams, sweet potato, winter squash, pumpkin etc).
- Mushrooms
- Whole Grains (whole wheat, oats, quinoa, amaranth, brown rice, etc.)
- Alliums (onions, shallots, leeks, scallions, garlic, chives)

Other sources add in:

- Omega 3's (wild salmon, fish oil)
- Grass-fed beef (high in zinc and vitamin D)
- Yogurt
- Oysters & other shellfish (high in Zinc and selenium)

Vegetables should be "raw, lightly steamed or gently stir-fried" to preserve their nutrients.

Dr. Moashing Ni (the author of Secrets Of Longevity) recently wrote another article about natural immunity boosters and ways to prevent colds and flus. You can read it here,

On the menu tonight:

- Poached salmon
- Baked sweet potato
- sautéed mushrooms in red wine
- steamed broccoli and green beans

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post, Jill. I started reading your blog awhile (via a vancityrockgirl) and really enjoy it. My family and I have also decided to opt out of the H1N1 vaccination (as we do all flu shots) and I'll be using a holistic approach to wellness, also. Thanks again for all of the above links and for sharing your own research, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the things you should eat, no wonder we're typically so healthy, but we choose them on common sense and taste...good thing we have generous palates.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails