Friday, September 25, 2009
Zesty Brown Rice Vegetable Pilaf
While brown rice is not the first rice choice of most, it is the better choice. Brown rice is a whole grain. It is unrefined and has 3 times as much fiber per cup as white rice. It has been said that fiber leads to the feeling of fullness which leads to eating less which could lead to weight loss so maybe brown rice isn't so bad after all.
Makes about 3 cups (6 servings)
1 cup dry brown rice,cooked
1/2 cup green beans, trimmed, cut in half & blanched
1/4 cup snap peas, cut in half
2 green onions, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 red onion, diced
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and sliced into strips
handful flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
zest of 1 lemon
juice of half 1 lemon
pinch of salt
1. Cook rice according to package directions. Once cooked, set aside for a few minutes to cool.
2. While rice is cooking, prepare the vegetables and seasonings. Place chopped veggies into a serving bowl. Grate lemon zest and squeeze juice into the bowl.
3. When rice has cooled slightly, add to serving bowl. Add a pinch of salt. Fold the rice into the veggies and mix gently.
4. Serve immediately (should still be warm, but can be served cold too).
- For a Spanish kick,instead of parsley use cilantro and instead of lemon, use a lime.
- Use bell peppers instead of snap peas and green beans.