Monday, September 21, 2009
10 Cent's Chili Lime Prawns
This is a version of 10 Cent's recipe. I added a bit of ginger and garlic to my marinade otherwise it's the same.
12-18 large uncooked prawns, peeled & de-veined
4-6 bamboo skewers soaked in water (optional) *i used an indoor grill so skewers weren't necessary. when bbqing skewers make it much easier to handle & flip your shrimp.
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar or mirin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped
1 tsp chili pepper flakes or 1 thai chili, chopped (more if you like it hot)
4 slices of fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, cut into thick slices
1/4 cup peanut oil or sesame oil
splash of gluten free soy sauce
1. Combine marinade ingredients. Place shrimp in a shallow bowl or zip loc bag and pour marinade over top. Marinate in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. Do not marinate for longer than 30 mins or the lime juice in the marinade will start to "cook" the shrimp.
2. Pre-heat BBQ or indoor grill to high heat.
3. If using bamboo skewers, thread 3-4 shrimp onto each skewer. Oil the grill and place the shrimp or skewers on the grill.
4. Cook no more than 2 minutes per side, for a total of 4 minutes of cook time.
5. Remove from grill and serve hot, warm or cold!
6. Makes a great addition to salad!