Saturday, September 26, 2009
Wine Poached Salmon & Asparagus in Honey Mustard Sauce
A quick, easy, delicious and very healthy dinner for my last night off before heading back to work. I'm also co-baby sitting my neice tonight so quick and easy was necessary when you have an almost one-year old in the other room waiting to play.
Wine Poached Salmon:
2 small fillets of wild salmon, skin removed
2 cups dry white wine
2 sprigs of any fresh herb of your choice (I used basil. Last time I used thyme.)
1. Pour wine into a deep saute pan over medium heat. Add fresh herbs. Bring to a low simmer.
2. Reduce heat to low. Add salmon fillets. Cover and let simmer on low for 10-15 minutes until salmon is cooked (should all be light pink & flake away with a fork). Salmon is one fish that is better when cooked to medium but since it's poached in liquid, it will be tender regardless.
3. Remove salmon from the pan and arrange on plates. Discard the cooking liquid and herbs.
Asparagus and Honey Mustard Sauce:
Medium bunch fresh green asparagus
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed (or any herb you like)
1/2 small shallot, diced
two twists fresh ground pepper
1. Wash and trim asparagus.
2. Steam asparagus over stop top or in microwave until cooked.
3. For the sauce, add the last 6 ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
4. Place asparagus on plates with the salmon.
5. Top asparagus and salmon with a generous drizzle of honey mustard sauce.