Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pizza a Patate (Potato Pizza)



One of my co-workers told me about a fabulous, homey flatbread appetizer that her Italian mother often makes with fresh pizza dough and thinly sliced baking potatoes. I found a couple interesting recipes online, but I didn't have all the ingredients on hand, so I had to improvise with what I had. Instead of making my own dough, I took the easy way out and used a frozen pizza shell. I also added thinly sliced onion and small chunks of fresh garlic. I covered the whole thing with a very generous drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. I baked my flatbread in the oven until the crust turned golden and the potatoes started to get crispy, then topped it with a few fresh spinach leaves and sliced tomatoes. Mozza cheese would be a nice addition, but it isn't necessary.

The addition of fresh garlic chunks was wonderful. The garlic roasted and became really buttery. The Italian seasoning and sea salt was a nice touch too. I don't recommend using pre-cooked or frozen pizza shells. The shell cooks up faster than the potatoes so you risk the shell getting too crispy. Next time I will follow one of the linked recipes and make my own pizza dough. Next time I will also stick with a more authentic Italian Potato Flatbread and skip the spinach and tomato. Simple is best. Potato, onion, garlic, olive oil and seasonings. Delicious!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails