Thursday, March 11, 2010
Lemon Blueberry Spelt Muffins
Featured on the Tasty Kitchen Blog!
I've been slacking in the breakfast department lately. Waking up too late and flying out the door; Barely enough time to shower and dress let alone feed myself. To curb the problem, I baked a batch of these great muffins and froze half to have on hand for the days when I don't have time for a quality meal.
With a hint of lemon, no refined sugar, no white flour and the added bonus of wheat germ and flax, these muffins are good and satisfying.
Yields 12 muffins.
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups spelt flour
2 tbsp flax seed meal
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 tsp baking soda
zest and juice of one lemon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin or two 12 cup mini muffin tins.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (butter, honey, apple sauce, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice).
4. In another large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (spelt flour, wheat germ, flax seed meal, baking soda, salt and lemon zest).
5. Slowly stir dry mixture into wet mixture and fold together until just combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
6. Spoon batter into muffin cups so they are 2/3 full.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
8. Let cool and serve with honey or a small amount of butter!