Sunday, August 29, 2010
Cranberry Orange Butter
Another Preserve the Bounty Challenge from week 2 - preserving in oil or fat. Do you think I have enough compound butters yet!?
This is an extra special compound butter so it deserves its own post. See the original compound butters post here. In this application we use frozen cranberries as they are easier to mix into the butter and easier to mince in a food processor.
1/4 cup frozen cranberries
1 tsp honey (preferably orange blossom)
zest from 1 large orange
1/2 cup soft butter
1. Place frozen cranberries in a food processor and process until minced. Place processed cranberries in a medium bowl.
2. Add orange zest and honey and mix together.
3. Blend in softened butter, using a firm spatula. Spread butter and mix well to get cranberry mixture incorporated throughout.
4. Spoon blended butter onto a sheet of parchment. Roll one end of the parchment over the butter. Using your hands, form and roll the butter in a small log. Twist the ends of the parchment to close. (Mine looks more like a 2x4 than a log, but that's okay too!)
5. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Great on muffins, toast and pancakes!
Try blueberries and lemon zest next time!