Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Cherries in Brandy
Week four of Preserve the Bounty and Jenny challenged us to preserve using alcohol. Fruit and booze. How can you go wrong with that? Along with making a jar of Jenny's Vanilla Rum Plums, I also put together a jar of cherries preserved in brandy, with cherries from the farmer's market.
You will need:
Brandy (can substitute vodka)
1/3 cup sugar
1 L canning jar, snap lid and ring
*You can either pit and de-stem the cherries or leave them intact. I chose to make a jar of each. The ones with stems on will be perfect as garnish for drinks and on dessert. The ones with no stems and pits will be perfect for baking.
1. Add cherries to a clean, sterilized 1 litre canning jar. Add 1/3 cup sugar.
2. Fill jar with Brandy to the bottom of the neck, leaving at least a half inch of head space at the top. Secure lid tightly.
3. Shake jar well to dissolve sugar. Leave jar on the counter for a few minutes for the remaining sugar to settle, then shake again until all the sugar is dissolved.
4. Store jar in a dark, cool place. Turn and shake lightly 3-4 times a week. Wait at least 4 weeks before eating.
Eat cherries on their own, in pies or on top of desserts. When the cherries are done you will have about 3/4 of a litre of delicious cherry brandy! The longer the cherries and brandy sit and mingle, the better the results!
Now... what to do with your cherry flavoured brandy? Mix up a drink!
4 oz cherry brandy
8 oz Coca Cola
1 preserved cherry for granish
1. Pour brandy over ice in a tall glass. Add Coke. Garnish with a cherry!
Cherry Champagne Cocktail:
1 oz cherry brandy
3 oz champagne or sparkling white wine
2 preserved cherries
1. Drop two cherries in a champagne glass. Add cherry brandy. Top with champagne or sparkling wine.
Check here for more recipes using Cherry Brandy. It's from the BOLS website, makers of commercial Cherry Brandy. But be happy because you saved $20.99 (BC Liquor Store price) by making you own!
This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar & Gluten Free