Saturday, August 28, 2010
Blueberry Orange Muffins with Blueberry Filling
Week by week the blueberry supply at the Farmer's Market is dwindling. I missed my chance to buy a case by one week. I kept putting it off and putting it off. Oh well, I still managed to freeze 4 cups, dehydrate 2 cups and preserve 2 cups in Peach Schanpps!
Up today, blueberry muffins made with whole wheat and spelt flours, flavoured with fresh orange juice and zest. And as an added surprise, a dollop of homemade blueberry preserves in the middle!
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup wheat germ (optional - use another 1/4 cup whole wheat or spelt flour instead of wheat germ)
1/3 cup sucanat or cane sugar (like turbinado)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Juice and zest from 1 orange
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup fresh blueberries, plus an additional 1/4 cup
1/4 cup blueberry preserves
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with olive oil cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a second bowl, add orange juice and zest, coconut oil, vanilla extract, yogurt and egg. Stir together.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold together until just combined. Gently fold in 1 cup of blueberries.
5. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into each muffin cup. Top with a teaspoon of blueberry preserves. Cover preserves with another 2 tablespoons of batter and pat down around the preserves to cover and seal. Sprinkle a few blueberries on the muffin batter.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Leave muffins to cool the muffin pan, then remove.
When I made my batter, I forgot to put the melted coconut oil in. The muffins still turned out fabulous.