Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Caramel Apple Pie Burritos
The spirit of this recipe is courtesy of The Chef at Home, Michael Smith. I adapted the bones of the recipe to use less refined ingredients and swapped out the plain cinnamon for a delicious spice mix. I also vetoed the Dulce De Lech topping because I was kind of hoping to fit in my pants tomorrow. Changes and omissions aside, the results were utterly scrumptious.
Apple Pie Burritos:
Makes 2 large burritos, Serves 4
2 Granny Smith Apples, cored and cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup sucanat
1 tbsp Apple Pie Spice Mix (see below)
2 large whole wheat tortillas
1 tbsp butter, melted
Sprinkle of cinnamon & sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Put apples in a pot with the water. Bring to a boil then place lid on pot and let apples steam for 3-5 minutes to soften slightly.
3. Reduce heat and add 1/3 cup apple juice, sucanat and Apple Pie Spice Mix. Stir well.
4. Bring to a boil again, over medium heat. Stir well then reduce heat to low and simmer until the apples are fork tender and the caramel sauce is thickened and sticky, about 10 minutes. Ensure the caramel sauce does not burn.
4. When apples are cooked, microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds to soften. Lay tortillas on a flat surface and spoon half the apple mixture into the centre of each tortilla. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and then roll up the edges to form a tight burrito.
5. Place burritos on the baking sheet seam side down. Lightly brush the tops of the burritos with melted butter and sprinkle with a dusting of cinnamon and sugar. (See tip below).
6. Place in the oven and bake until crispy and golden, about 15 minutes.
7. Cut burritos in half and place each half on a plate. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of caramel dessert topping.
Tip: Instead of sprinkling plain old cinnamon & sugar over your burritos, try the new sugar grinders from President's Choice. I used the Sugar, Chocolate & Cinnamon Blend. There is also a Sugar & Vanilla Blend.
Apple Pie Spice Mix:
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
pinch of ground cloves
1. Add everything to a Mason jar. Screw on lid and shake well to mix. Use within six months.
(I use my Apple Pie Spice sprinkled over yogurt, oatmeal and ice cream. Or be really original and use it in an apple pie or other baked good!)