Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Crab & Cream Cheese Popovers
This recipe is adapted from the 2009 Canadian Living Holiday Cookbook. The popovers are easy to make and they taste wonderful. They are savoury and chewy with a soft, warm surprise in the centre.
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup finely chopped green onion, plus another 1 tbsp, reserved
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
1 can crabmeat, drained
1/2 brick (125g) cream cheese, room temperature
splash of lemon juice
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, milk, butter and seasonings until smooth and frothy. Mix in green onion, red onion and jalapeno pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours (or up to 24 hours).
2. Meanwhile, Mix crab, cream cheese, reserved green onion and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray.
4. Remove batter from fridge and gently whisk. Spoon batter into muffin cups to fill halfway. Add rounded teaspoon of crab mixture to centre of each muffin cup. Spoon remaining batter over top of the crab mixture to fill the muffin cups.
5. Bake in oven for 16-18 or until golden and puffed. Serve warm. Can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks. Re-heat in 400 degree F. oven for 5-10 minutes.