Saturday, January 30, 2010
Baked Lemony Greek Rice Pilaf
This recipe is adapted from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook. The original recipe is simply rice, broth (or water), salt and lemon juice. I wanted to jazz my rice up a bit to pair with a side of pork tenderloin, which I marinated in Souvlaki seasoning. Add a fresh Greek Salad and dinner is served!
1 cup brown rice
2 1/2 cups water or broth (chicken or vegetable)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)
1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced (I omitted this)
1/2 tbsp Greek seasoning (If you can't find a blend in the stores, you can make your own. There is a good one here
Pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp lemon zest (reserved)
1/2 tomato, seeded and diced (reserved)
fresh parsley, chopped (reserved)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add rice to a casserole dish. Pour water and lemon juice over rice. Add vegetables and seasonings. Gently stir to mix everything around.
3. Place in hot oven and bake for 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes. Fold in tomato and lemon zest. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- After cooking, fold in some crumbled feta cheese
- Try dried dill weed instead of Greek seasoning